Re: upcoming kerneloops.org item: get_page_from_freelist

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 15:16:45 EST

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Andrew Morton wrote:

> My original patch was motiviated by the horror at discovering that
> we're using this thing (which was _never_ supposed to have new users)
> for order>0 allocations. We've gone backwards.

Don't be silly.

We've always depended on order-1 allocations working.

You're just totally misguided in your arguments, and you are
FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG. Your argument is shit, BECAUSE IT IS NOT TRUE!

Lookie here. This is 2.6.0:mm/page_alloc.c:

do_retry = 0;
if (!(gfp_mask & __GFP_NORETRY)) {
if ((order <= 3) || (gfp_mask & __GFP_REPEAT))
do_retry = 1;
if (gfp_mask & __GFP_NOFAIL)
do_retry = 1;
}
if (do_retry) {
blk_congestion_wait(WRITE, HZ/50);
goto rebalance;
}

Read that. Read if five times. Read it until you understand what it does.

Linus

PS. Here's a clue: Look at that 'order <= 3' thing. Think about what
happens EVEN IF __NOFAIL) was not even set!