enabling kms for i915 disables brightness control and xrandr

From: Soeren Sonnenburg
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 06:41:08 EST

Dear all,

I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
but I recognized that when I enable kernel based modesetting on a intel
945 based samsung nc 10 netbook, I loose brightness control from within
X and X resolutions are wrong (instead of 1024x600 it is 1024x1024) and
xrandr does no longer have the all the modelines ranging from 1024x600
to 640x350... Trying to change resolutions / setting the brightness via
xrandr results in error messages being printed.

Furthermore, this same flag disables Xv support..

However, screen switches between terminal and X are quite fast now
(without any flicker) and suspend and everything works stably.

I recognized that I can set the brightness via

setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=XX

(XX ranging from 00 to FF) just fine...

I am attaching the .config .

Any ideas?
Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962