Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 18:07:16 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Jeff Garzik wrote:
On the other side of the coin, major desktop apps Firefox and Thunderbird
already use it: Firefox uses sqlite [...]

You do know that Firefox had to _disable_ fsync() exactly because not disabling it was unacceptable? That whole "why does firefox stop for 5 seconds" thing created too many bug-reports.

So, arguments about "people should..." aside, existing desktops apps _do_
fsync and we get to deal with the bad performance :/

No they don't. Read up on it. Really.

What is in Fedora 10 and Debian lenny's iceweasel both definitely sync to disk, as of today, according to my own tests.

I'm talking about what's in real world user's hands today, not some hoped-for future version in developer CVS somewhere, depending on build options and who knows what else...

Jeff