Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 12:29:18 EST

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:15:53PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> To be honest I don't see your problem. Surely well designed desktop
> applications are already all using nice error handling, out of space and
> fsync aware interfaces in the gnome library that do all the work for them
> - "so they don't have to check for errors".

The context was situations like errors on close() not occuring unless
you've fsync()ed first. I don't think that error case is sufficiently
common to warrant the cost of an fsync() on every single close,
especially since doing so would cripple any application that ever tried
to run on ext3.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx