Re: ATA support for 4k sector size

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Feb 26 2009 - 16:04:46 EST

Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"hpa" == H Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Quick answer from one of my contacts. Desktop drives will indeed
ship with an alignment of 1(*). The alignment is hardwired at time
of manufacture and can't be changed.

hpa> Oh God.

hpa> This is a disaster.

Rationale being that modern Microsoft operating systems know how to
interpret the alignment bits. Legacy XP will work without changes
thanks to the shifted alignment. And Vista+ will do the right thing to
align partition 1 to what the drive reports.

Also note that Windows only aligns the first partition. That's
something we need to be aware of when setting up dual boot systems.

Yeah, but all of this completely breaks the disk image abstraction, which is a very powerful paradigm.

-hpa