Some user feedback on recent Intel chipset and 2.6.29 KMS

From: Eric Valette
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 06:20:09 EST

Hi,

Thanks for the nice work: for the first time (starting with
2.6.29-rc6-git1), I managed to remove the vesa framebuffer in favor of
intel's ones. Recent X server (1.5.99.902 + git intel driver and git
drm) also comes up correctly and detects the KMS.

This amilo xi 3650 is a transportable SLI enabled laptop with Nvidia
GeForce 9600M GT & Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset. By defaut the
Intel card is active. I can force using one or other in the bios but
expects one day I will be able to be able to dynamically switch like on
vista.

However there are still some problem with drm, Xorg, suspend/resume:

1. The X server needs interrupts (mouse or keyboard) to redraw things
(e.g if I do apt-get update in a konsole, I see it freeeze but if
I move the mouse I get the complete output instantly. Same thing
when I start a new application, I have to hit shift or move mouse.
The same user land setting with 2.6.28.7 behaves correctly,
2. I have a lot of problem with suspend to ram: when console comes up
but with a cyan background and then X comes up completely garbled
although I can distinguish some shadow of the windows and a
konsole is still active if I enter init 0. Sometimes it purely
freeze. If I switch back to tty (when I can), and restart kdm,
then it starts only in 800x600 mode. Using krandrtray to put it
back at 1920x1080, it simply freezes.

If I can help testing anything, providing traces (dmesg, config, lspci,
xorg config) let me know.

PS: CC me if anwering to the list I'm not suscribed.

-- eric