Re: New filesystem for Linux kernel

From: David Newall
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 04:33:42 EST

Tomas M wrote:
> In general, I need an union filesystem and I do not care if that is unionfs or aufs.

Agreed. Well said.

> I wish aufs to be mainlined; because the code simply works, since its initial release, for many years.

Perhaps; but consider Okajima-san's rationale, "Aufs2 is a refined
version of old aufs1: - to be reviewed easily and widely. - to make the
source files simpler and smaller by dropping several original
features." Do note assume the code being proposed is the same as, or of
the same quality as, that from AUFS1.

If we really believe in choice, then unless AUFS2 obviously breaks
things, it's hard to argue against it's inclusion. Thus can
best-of-breed emerge.