Re: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 12:18:35 EST

> I vote for the, get rid of the current inline, rename __always_inline to

There is some code that absolutely requires inline for correctness,
like the x86-64 vsyscall code. I would advocate to keep the
explicit __always_inline at least there to make it very clear.

> inline, and then remove all non needed inlines from the kernel.

Most inlines in .c should be probably dropped.

> We'll, probably start adding a lot more noinlines.

That would cost you, see the numbers I posted (~4.1% text increase)

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx