Re: [ntpwg] Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash onnew years 2008-2009

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 05:58:12 EST

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:48:54 +0000
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On FreeBSD, Solaris and Digital Unix, I'll point out, that jumping
> > backwards is used, and has been used since at least 1994. So saying
> > it isn't used in the world today is flat out wrong.

[Ignore previous email, must remember not to post before waking up ;)]

You are correct - and providing gettimeofday() is being used on Linux
rather than time() which simply appears to stall due to resolution the
same is true.

Some users do run with the "right" timezone data in non posix mode
because they want their seconds 'sane' but that isn't the default.

Alan