Re: Developing non-commercial drivers ?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 12:19:12 EST

Fredrik Markström wrote:

At this point I feel that we have two possibilities, help our customer
violate GPL or say no to the project. I'd prefer a third option where
I could tell the customer that we can setup the project in a certain
way (some "cleanroom" setup ?) to ensure that the results can not be
considered derived work.

Is your short answer also the definite answer considering this ?

I'm not a lawyer, and you need to consult one.

There isn't really a "definate answer" since it depends on copyright law, which varies by region. The key question is whether the driver is a derivative work of the kernel under copyright law. For the purposes of copyright law this is primarily a legal question, not a technical one.

There are some that claim that a driver written for another OS and running in linux via a shim layer could qualify (especially if the closed-source portion is written without any knowledge of linux internals). Nvidia is one company that does this, but there are others as well.

Also, releasing the driver under the GPL doesn't necessarily mean "released to the world". Technically, they would only need to provide source code to their customers. Of course, their customers would be free to redistribute, but it's unlikely that most of them would bother.

Chris