Re: [BUG] linux-2.6.28-rc3 regression: IRQ smp_affinities notrespected

From: Michael Chan
Date: Wed Nov 05 2008 - 01:46:14 EST

Eric Dumazet wrote:

> Hi all
>
> One more problem it seems on 2.6.28-rc3
>
> I wanted to get maximal throughput from my machine on a
> network bench with 3 Gigabit
> links delivering 600.000 packets per second, so I tried to
> play with smp_affinity to
> dedicate one CPU for each NIC.
>
> It worked with 2.6.27, so there is a regression on this part.

I believe this may be the patch that broke it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=ce6fce4295ba727b36fdc73040e444bd1aae64cd

I don't remember all the details, but the Broadcom 5708 chip is
affected because it does not support MSI per-vector masking.

One way to get around is to disable MSI with bnx2 parameter
disable_msi=1.