2.6.24 says "serial8250: too much work for irq4" a lot.

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 15:55:31 EST

When running a 2.6.24 kernel built for x86-64 under qemu via serial console,
doing CPU-intensive things that also produce a lot of output (such as
compiling software) tends to produce the error message in the title.

Anybody have a clue why? It doesn't seem to cause an actual problem, but it's
kind of annoying.

(If it's a qemu issue, I can go bother them. It's possible that qemu isn't
delivering interrupts as often as it expects, since that's limited by the
granularity of the host timer; I know the clock in qemu can run a bit slow
because it only gets clock interrupts when the host system isn't too busy to
schedule the emulator. But this doesn't usually cause a problem. I _think_
the message is just a "this should never happen" type warning, which is
happening to me. But I break stuff. :)

Rob
- Ken Thompson.