Re: [RFC] Parallelize IO for e2fsck

From: David Chinner
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 20:16:42 EST

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:30:43PM -0800, Valerie Henson wrote:
> Hi y'all,
>
> This is a request for comments on the rewrite of the e2fsck IO
> parallelization patches I sent out a few months ago. The mechanism is
> totally different. Previously IO was parallelized by issuing IOs from
> multiple threads; now a single thread issues fadvise(WILLNEED) and
> then uses read() to complete the IO.

Interesting.

We ultimately rejected a similar patch to xfs_repair (pre-population
the kernel block device cache) mainly because of low memory
performance issues and it doesn't really enable you to do anything
particularly smart with optimising I/O patterns for larger, high
performance RAID arrays.

The low memory problems were particularly bad; the readahead
thrashing cause a slowdown of 2-3x compared to the baseline and
often it was due to the repair process requiring all of memory
to cache stuff it would need later. IIRC, multi-terabyte ext3
filesystems have similar memory usage problems to XFS, so there's
a good chance that this patch will see the same sorts of issues.

> Single disk performance doesn't change, but elapsed time drops by
> about 50% on a big RAID-5 box. Passes 1 and 2 are parallelized. Pass
> 5 is left as an exercise for the reader.

Promising results, though....

Cheers,

Dave.
--