Re: Geode-GX1 processor in 2.6.21

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Apr 30 2007 - 08:14:18 EST

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:51:05 +0200, Juergen Beisert wrote:
> setCx86(CX86_CCR2, getCx86(CX86_CCR2) | 0x88);
>
> If this register is 0x00 before, it is still 0x00 after this line. If I change
> the line into this:
>
> ccr2 = getCx86(CX86_CCR2);
> ccr2 |= 0x88;
> setCx86(CX86_CCR2, ccr2);
>
> register ccr2 is 0x88 after the setCx86 call and the power saving feature is
> active (and BTW: the TSC is useless then, because it also stops when the CPU
> runs into a HLT instruction).
>
> setCx86 and getCx86 are macros defined in include/asm-i386/processor.h:
>
> #define getCx86(reg) ({ outb((reg), 0x22); inb(0x23); })
>
> #define setCx86(reg, data) do { \
> outb((reg), 0x22); \
> outb((data), 0x23); \
> } while (0)
>
> Maybe the compiler does the wrong thing if someone uses these macros in the
> same instruction?

The compiler is fine, it's the setCx86() macro that is utter crap
because it fails to behave like a function by not evaluating its
arguments before performing its outb() statements.

Converting them to static inlines would be the best solution. Something like

static inline u8 getCx86(unsigned int reg)
{
outb(reg, 0x22);
return inb(0x23);
}

static inline void setCx86(unsigned int reg, u8 data)
{
outb(reg, 0x22);
outb(data, 0x23);
}