Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v6

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 07:55:11 EST

* Kasper Sandberg <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Compared to mainline? I still think this is a 100% keeper for
> > desktop users like me.
>
> Here its alot worse, just playing an ogg with ogg123 even without
> anything reniced (X is 0), just pressing a link in konqueror can make
> audio skip (ogg123 fails to fill the alsa buffer, and thus it skips).

update for lkml readers: this is some really 'catastrophic' condition
triggering on your box. Here ogg123 just never skips on an older 750 MHz
box, which is 4-5 times slower than your 2GHz box - while i have _fourty
nice-0 infinite loops_ running. I.e. at this clearly ridiculous load, at
just 2.5% of CPU time ogg123 is just chugging along nicely and never
leaves out a beat.

i'll try to figure out what is happening on your box. I asked for your
.config off-list (which you already sent me) and i'll try to reproduce
your problems. One thing i noticed: when ogg123 plays with 'esd' also
running on the system, it starts skipping really badly - but it does so
under all schedulers i tried (cfs, sd, vanilla).

Ingo