Re: Back to the future.

From: Pekka J Enberg
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 06:12:32 EST

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> And where is the benefit in that? How is such user space freezing logic
> simpler than having the kernel do the write?
>
> What can you do in user space if all filesystems are r/o that is worth the
> hassle?

I am talking about snapshot_system() here. It's not given that the
filesystems need to be read-only (you can snapshot them too). The benefit
here is that you can do whatever you want with the snapshot (encrypt,
compress, send over the network) and have a clean well-defined interface
in the kernel. In addition, aborting the snapshot is simpler, simply
munmap() the snapshot.

The problem with writing in the kernel is obvious: we need to add new code
to the kernel for compression, encryption, and userspace interaction
(graphical progress bar) that are important for user experience.

Pekka