Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 20:32:13 EST

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 12:21:24PM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Not nearly so much though. In memory you don't have seeks to avoid.
> On disks avoiding seeks is everything.

I readily concede that seeks are most costly. Yet memory contiguity
remains rather influential.

Witness the fact that I'm now being called upon a second time to
adjust the order in which mm/page_alloc.c returns pages for the
sake of implicitly establishing IO contiguity (or otherwise
determining why things are coming out backward now).

-- wli