Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

From: David Lang
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 17:25:28 EST

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

The general scheme has been working for four or five years - if there
was a fundamental issue, we would have found it by now.

The scheme isn't complicated.

Conceptually, it is complicated just because you're using the LRU.

I know that I've seen many projects that are working on or claim to have suceeded in being able to do live migration of processes from one system to another. has anyone looked at useing any of these mechanisms for snapshoting the user processes for the std situation? if you can do this a process at a time you may be able to avoid the massive blob of a write

instead of what linus was saying

buff = snapshot()
write(buff)

it would be
start_snapshot() /* stops all userspace schedulers except for this process */
foreach(pid) {
buff = snapshotpid(pid)
write(buff)
}