Re: [REPORT] cfs-v6-rc2 vs sd-0.46 vs 2.6.21-rc7

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 09:55:50 EST

* Michael Gerdau <mgd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In general sd tends to finish all three such jobs at roughly the same
> time while cfs clearly "favors" the LTMM-type jobs (which admittedly
> involve the least computations). I don't really know why that is so.

for the reason of this, look at the raw user runtimes the 3 jobs have:

5498.128 secs # LTMM
7559.777 secs
7600.179 secs

the "perfect scheduler" would run each of the jobs at 33.33% of capacity
for ~5500 CPU-seconds, and would then run the remaining two jobs at
50.0% capacity for about ~2075 CPU-seconds.

Why? Because the scheduler how no idea how much each job takes! So a
fair scheduler would run: 3 jobs at 33.33% capacity for as long as the
shortest job ends, then the remaining 2 jobs at 50% capacity for as the
shorter one of the remaining 2 finishes, and the remaining one at 100%.

in your case that means that the best scheduling would be roughly the
following ideal timeline:

5500*3 / 2 == 8250 seconds for the LTMM to finish
2075*2 / 2 == +2075 more seconds for the other two jobs to finish.

the various runs showed the following wallclock-time timeline for the
LTMM phase:

CFS #1: real 142m56.806s
CFS #2: real 125m58.235s
SD: real 140m16.127s
vanilla: real 133m50.274s

the "ideal" is ~137 minutes (8250 seconds) for the LTMM phase. The
closest was indeed SD, but vanilla and cfs #1 wasnt too far away from it
either. [ and the variance between CFS #1 and #2 seems to suggest that
the noise of this particular metric is significant. The average does
come in at 134.5, which is quite close to the ideal number. ]

Ingo