Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 03:18:27 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

Nick, what's the buffer layer? Are you talking about operations
based on bufferheads?

Yeah. Our pgoff_t->sector_t translation.

Sadly the buffers in the buffer layer still assume contiguous memory. You would have to add a series of pointers there and then add a layer to handle this.

That's the least of the problems with rewriting the buffer layer.

But I maintain that the end result is better than the fragmentation
based approach. A lot of people don't actually want a bigger page
cache size, because they want efficient internal fragmentation as
well, so your radix-tree based approach isn't really comparable.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.