Re: [OT] inotify hack for locate

From: Jon Masters
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 20:01:55 EST

On 3/5/06, Chris Ball <cjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On 5 Mar 2006 21:36:19, Jon Masters <jonmasters@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > I'm fed up with those finds running whenever I power on. Has
> > anyone written an equivalent of the Microsoft indexing service to
> > update locate's database?

> I think the reason this hasn't been done is that inotify_add_watch()es
> are non-recursive: you'd need a watch over every directory, and you'd
> need a crawling step (churn, churn) to enumerate the directories to
> add watches for.

You're right. What I want really is to be able to bind to a netlink
socket and get told about particular file IO operations I'm interested
in for the /whole/ of a filesystem. The same kind of thing that real
time anti-virus/anti-spam people want to do anyway.

Thanks for the links, Chris. I've not been following Beagle
development (lost interest after the OLS talk got cancelled) very
closely so wasn't aware of the current implementation.

Jon.