Re: IDE disk and HPA

From: Gustavo Guillermo Pérez
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 16:51:30 EST

El Jueves, 4 de Agosto de 2005 07:11, Etienne Lorrain escribió:

> > > Because the HPA is most commonly used to hide all but a fraction of a
> > > disk to work with older BIOSes.
> >
> > But as to my knowledge, the HPA was had been introduced to allow HW
> > vendors to store things like diagnostic programs in a part of the
> > disk protected from partitioning and filesystems.
> > The point is, IF there is an HPA, there MIGHT be a partitioning
> > scheme and some filesystems on the disk which rely on the size of
> > disk being the native size MINUS the HPA.
>
> If those HW vendors want to store software in the HPA of the IDE
> hard disk, and they employ people able to read the IDE specifications,
> they know that this HPA can be protected by password and so Linux
> just display a failure when trying to restore the capacity of the
> Hard Disk - because it lacks the unlocking password.
If I want to upgrade my IDE Hard drive by my self, how can I restore that kind
of data on other diferent PC? HPA should not exist, there are a lot of other
ways to store restore or diagnostics apps, Hibernation and Quick Restores
should be handled in other way, I have once an omnibook (earth unplugged) and
I can only reinstall Linux, because the host protected area does not allow me
to install The Original OS, in other PC with the porper hardware and back it
to the laptop.
This HPA should be optional, but never by default, I once need to have them
disabled (where is the specifications from the manufacturer to reproduce them
in a new hard disk media).
:|
--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez