Re: .../asm-i386/bitops.h performance improvements

From: cutaway
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 18:18:38 EST

The only thing I've seen so far that loses is a straight original 486. Its
pipe is somewhat more simple minded and interlock prone than later models.
PPro, K6 and 386SX are big winners.

On the 386's, lacking actual pipeline, the compactness of the LEA over the
SHL/ADD can be more of an overriding factor.