Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Lukasz Stelmach
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 09:53:57 EST

MÃns RullgÃrd napisaÅ(a):

>>IMHO for *every* filesystem there need to be an *option* to:
>>
>>1. store filenames in utf-8 (that is quite possible today) or any other
>>unicode form.
>
> export LC_CTYPE=whatever.utf-8

Translate and store them in utf-8 at kernel level same as VFAT mounted
with iocharset option.

>>2. convert them to/from a desired iocharset. I prefere using ISO-8859-2
>>on my system for not every tool support utf-8 today (hopefuly yet).
>
> man iconv

There are far more programmes than only iconv. First of all readline
library is kind of broken because it counts (or at least it did a year
ago) bytes instead of characters. I won't use UTF-8 nor force anybody
else to do so until readline will handle it properly.

>>Of course if a user whishes to store filenames in some other encoding
>>she should be *able* to do so (that is why i like linux).
>
> That's the current situation.

And it is good in a way, however, i think kernel level translation
should be also possible. Either done by a code in each filsystem or by
some layer above it.

>>Generally. IMHO VFAT is a good example how character encoding needs
>>to be handeled.
>
> IMHO, VFAT is only a good example of bad design.

It depend's on what it is used for. It is very good fs for removable
media. None of linux native filesystems is good for this because of
different uids on different machines. Since VFAT uses unicode it is
possible to see the filenames properly on systems using different
codepages for the same language (1:1 is possible).

--
ByÅo mi bardzo miÅo. Trzecia pospolita klÄska, [...]