Re: amd64 cdrom access locks system

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 13:18:04 EST

On 6/14/05, Jeff Wiegley <jeffw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> using "dev=/dev/hda" yeilds the exact same behavior...
>
> Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
> Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
> Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
> Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
> Jun 14 03:23:30 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt

Jens, any idea?

> And I'm a little confused by Robert's suggestion... Should it
> ever be possible for a user-space application to cause lost
> interrupts and other kernel state problems regardless of what
> "interface" is used?? Sure, if the application uses the wrong
> interface it should get spanked somehow but should it be able to
> mess up the kernel for other applications as well? (Like now
> I can't read or eject.)

It shouldn't be possible unless it is "raw" interface
(requires CAP_SYS_RAWIO) w/o checking all possible
parameters (it is not always possible) or device is buggy.

Also it is quite unlikely that somebody will fix obsolete
interface (hey, it got obsoleted for some reason ;-).

No.

Bartlomiej