Re: Add pselect, ppoll system calls.

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 10:13:21 EST

Trimmed Cc: so reduce mail on already mail-overloaded folks.

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 16:42 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mattias Engdeg=E5rd?=
wrote:
> >> I don't have the POSIX specs handy, but I see no reason we could not let
> >> it use a warpless monotonic clock.
> >
> >You have already one - the uptime of the system.
>
> For example, yes.
>
> >Doing "Relative timeouts" with "gettimeofday()" is a strategic error.
> >Specify the timeout und use (the return value of) times(2) for this.
>
> Having an interface use absolute timeouts will avoid this strategic error,

If the absolute timeouts means "the uptime in some point in the future",
yes.
If the absolute timeouts means "the time in the real world", then it
*is* the strategic error. This "time in the real world" (if it is usable
on the user interface), is neither monotonic nor warpless.

> simplify common code, and reduce the number of needed syscalls.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55