Re: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit

From: Dave Kleikamp
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 08:25:37 EST

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 15:53 -0400, fs wrote:

> 1) When I/O failure occurs(e.g.: unrecoverable media failure - USB
> unplug), FS should
> a. shutdown the FS right now(XFS does this)
> b. try to make the media serve as long as possible(EXT3 remounts
> read-only, cache is still valid for read)
> c. do not care, just print some kernel debugging info(EXT2 JFS
> ReiserFS)

In practice, JFS will typically do b. In some cases, an operation may
simply return -EIO (or not even that if the write is asynchronous), but
eventually, a failure to read or write metadata will lead to the file
system being mounted read-only. Like ext2/3, this behavior is
configurable with the errors= mount option.

It's possible that JFS may behave like c for a short time, or if an I/O
error is isolated.

> 2) When I/O failure occurs, FS should
> a. give a unified error
> b. give errors according to the FS type
>
> 3) the returned errno should be
> a. real cause of failure, e.g. USB unplug returns EIO
> b. cause from FS, e.g. USB unplug made FS remount read-only,
> so open(O_RDONLY) returns ENOENT while open(O_RDWR) returns
> EROFS
> c. errno means nothing, you already get -1, that's enough

I'm not sure I understand the difference between 2) & 3).

If 1)b. applies, then 3)b. makes sense. The initial error causes the
file system to be mounted read-only. The original error is history, so
any additional errors must make sense in the current context. Trying to
write to a read-only filesystem should return -EROFS. Any new I/O
errors may return -EIO. I'm not sure about -ENOENT, but it probably
makes sense from the context of the code returning the error.

> Unfortunately, recent kernel FSes give mixed answers to the above
> questions. As an end user/developer, this is really BAD! Also, there's
> no correspondent docs/standard, 'de facto' standard varies for different
> people.
>
> So, we propose 1)a 2)a 3)a as the right behavior. We really hope FS
> maintainers can give us a unified answer on this issue, or AT LEAST
> positive feedback. If possible, have a discussion in the Kernel Summit.

I don't agree. I think 1)b is the most useful for most purposes. Most
users would like to be able to recover as much data as possible if a
disk starts failing. Allowing the volume to remain mounted read-only
allows this without risking further damage to the file system.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center