Re: [Ext2-devel] Re: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 22:57:10 EST

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:13:15 EDT, Andreas Dilger said:
> > fs wrote:
> > > c. do not care, just print some kernel debugging info(EXT2 JFS
> > > ReiserFS)

> 1b. I don't think it is possible to get 1c behaviour for journal
> errors on ext3.

Are there any realistic cases where you'd *want* behavior 1c?

(The very idea makes me cringe - I had 2 different vendor's 4.3BSD-based
systems basically do 1c when a Fujitsu Super-Eagle went oxide plow - it merrily
went along all night dragging the crashed head hither and yon failing to write
into newly-destroyed blocks all over the disk....)