Re: [RFC] Observations on x86 process.c

From: cutaway
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 10:13:57 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Denis Vlasenko" <vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I am not affected. I compile my kernels with zero alignment.
>
> Not my itch to scratch.

Does some clueless user who needs a custom kernel for something even
understand what you just said? Probably not...

> Do you realize how large linux kernel is? Are you going to optimize all of
it
> by hand?!

Its big, but not as big as some I've worked on. I'm willing to tune the
"arch" specific stuff where I can do better than the compiler. A few bytes
here, a few there, pretty soon you got a page back. BTW, there's just under
100K of fluff zero padding in locked pages because of the way kernel
messages are being 32 byte aligned. Do you think getting 100K of locked
kernel memory back essentially "for free" is worth taking a shot at? I do.

> People tend to gradually update their systems. Make gcc better, and it
will
> pay back with time. If you want that benefit _now_, then use your better
gcc
> immediately instead of stone age one. Others will take care of themselves.

Pretty harsh attitude IMO. People use compilers because they DO want
someone to take care of some things for them.