Re: PREEMPT_RT vs ADEOS: the numbers, part 1

From: Philippe Gerum
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 10:50:47 EST

Kristian Benoit wrote:
On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:15 -0700, Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:

Its a good start, and its excellent that its being looked at. Thank
you
guys very much for taking the time to compare these 2 very different
systems.

Youre welcome !

I think the comparison should absolutely compare identical community
kernels. The comparison between two different release candidates is
questionable. rc2 to rc4 doesn't seem like much, after all, how much
code could go into a release candidate. (diff | wc -l)

I agree with that, but as the results show, there does'nt seems to be
much difference impact the numbers in the tested field.

Also, I question testing -rc code in the first place, except for
regression purposes.

I tested the -rc code in orther to be able to compare the patched
kernels against theird own source.

How does that effort compare for porting ADEOS code? If several weeks
of
work are invested in a comparison of rc2 to rc4, how much additional
work is needed to bring Adeos up to the base for the current RT
kernel?

It has already been done using 2.6.12-rc2/x86 + RT-V0.7.44-03 a few weeks ago. Since it was the first time such merge was attempted, it took me a week to get a functional patch which could run a complex "client" OS such as RTAI over it. Now that the infrastructure is in place, I guess that the task should be simpler, since hopefully, I now better understand the implications of having PREEMPT_RT into the kernel codebase.

Philippe, I think that question is youre !

--

Philippe.