Re: optional delay after partition detection at boot time

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 08:19:41 EST

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 03:10:59PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > 1) could be cured by not actually panic'ing.
>
> Actually one thing I always wanted was to make sysrq still work
> after panic. Then you could add a key to page through the dmesg
> there too and the problem would be solved.

Well, that's why I wrote kmsgdump several years ago :-) You could even print
the messages on a parallel printer or save them to a floppy disk.

> It would be extremly useful to reset remote servers when panic=timeout
> is not set, but something went wrong with mounting /.

I think that more generally, we should reset if there's no panic=timeout,
because the reasons for a panic are multiple and in case of remote servers,
it's always a nightmare to know that may be you will lose access after one
risky operation.

Willy