Re: optional delay after partition detection at boot time

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 07:55:43 EST

* Willy Tarreau (willy@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:05:39PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >
> > > Or make the kernel print /proc/partitions when it is unable to mount root?
> >
> > I posted a patch in February to do this:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110946077026065&w=2
>
> This is even better ! I will probably backport it to 2.4 to merge in my
> kernels ;-)

That would be nice (I'd like to see it in 2.6); I wrote it for two reasons:
1) Because often the info you need has already scrolled off
and because of the panic you can't scroll back.

2) When talking to users on help channels the only thing they
can normally tell you is the last 'failed to mount root' line
and don't really no what to look back for, by having a
few line summary you can more easily get someone to type out.

1) could be cured by not actually panic'ing.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /