Re: BUG: Unusual TCP Connect() results.

From: Michal Schmidt
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 11:06:45 EST

Alastair Poole wrote:
This problem only occurs on localhost. I don't think it is mere luck, these are too frequent and strange for this.

I tried the scanning program on localhost. I modified it to wait for the user to press Enter when it encounters an open port.
On my system I normally have listening TCP ports 25, 631 and 1024.
And yes, the scanning program sometimes finds other open ports.
This is netstat output when it happens:

michich@michichnb:~> LC_ALL=C netstat -ntp | grep scan
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:1774 127.0.0.1:1774 ESTABLISHED 17510/scan

The TCP socket connected to itself. I don't know if it's expected behaviour. It agree it is strange, because we didn't call listen() on the socket.

Michal