Re: ipw2100: firmware problem

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 01:57:54 EST

On Thursday 09 June 2005 17:31, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> > What is so nice about this? That Linux novice user with his new lappie
> > will join a neighbor's network every time he powers up the lappie,
> > even without knowing that?
> >
> > That will be analogous to me plugging ethernet cable into the
> > switch and
> > wanting it to work, without any IP addr config, even without
> > DHCP client.
> > Just power up the box (or modprobe an eth module) and it
> > works! Cool, eh?
> >

> You want things one way, I like them in another way. Whoever makes this
> decision should just know that we would like to have an option to make it
> load with or without the ASSOC on.

But you already _have_ the option to associate. Just issue
appropriate iwconfig command (or embed one in startup script).

> James already said to use the options ipw2100 disable=1 if you don't want it
> to associate everytime on boot.

Do we have to add such option to each and every wireless driver now?
That would be wrong since iwconfig already exists.

> At the end, who decides this?

User. As I said, with no automatic assoc at module load user still
may easily attain that with iwconfig.

Adding kernel level wireless autoconfiguration duplicates the effort.
Since I am not going to give up a requirement to be able to stay radio
silent at boot (me too wants freedom, not only you), you need to add
disable=1 module parameter to each driver, which adds to the mess.

ALSA does the Right Thing. Sound is completely muted out at module load.
It's a user freedom to set desired volume level after that.
--
vda