Re: ipw2100: firmware problem

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 18:16:43 EST

Olivier Galibert wrote:
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:56:15PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

I guess at some point we will need a file system in there, but - oops -
we already have one, dont we? :)

Well, you could put .config in it too.

Frankly, a filesystem that:
- can be somehow linked with vmlinux and not separate like an initrd

- editable post vmlinux-linking

- gives files that can be accessed from request_firmware, acpi and
friends even rather early in the boot process (i.e. well before any
userland is allowed to exist)

- accessible post-boot through mounting of a special fs and/or /proc or something

would be quite useful.

This exists. It's called initramfs. Read the kernel code :)

Jeff