Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-00

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 06:59:28 EST

* Serge Noiraud <serge.noiraud@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > # CONFIG_DEBUG_RT_LOCKING_MODE is not set
> >
> > it seems to work fine. With the above enabled it hangs on both of my SMP
> > systems as described above. :-/
>
> Same problem here. OK unsetting the CONFIG_DEBUG_RT_LOCKING_MODE.

this one should be fixed in the latest patch. (note that when
DEBUG_RT_LOCKING_MODE is set the spinlocks/rwlocks default to
non-preemptible. You can set preemption it via
/proc/sys/kernel/preempt_locks. You normally dont want to enable this
option.)

> I have another problem :
> I can't boot.

could you try the latest (-48-03) patch? I fixed a couple of things that
might impact SMP booting.

> ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ... failed.
> ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... <======= freeze
>
> Is it a problem or a CONFIG parameter ?

a freeze is always a problem, whether it can be worked around via a
CONFIG parameter or not. Generally if you see any reduction in
functionality that deviates from the stock Linux kernel, it's a bug.

Ingo