RE: Dell BIOS and HPET timer support

From: Pallipadi, Venkatesh
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 17:57:23 EST

HPET timer will be useful for different purposes:
1) Kernel uses it for timer interrupt and time source (gettimeofday).
Kernel will use one particular timer among available HPET timers
(typically 3).
2) The HPET driver exports the HPET device in /dev which can be used by
other kernel drivers or user programs.

In this particular case, with forcing of HPET, (1) above seems to be
working fine.
But, (2) is printing 0ns. Probably because missing HPET information in
ACPI. You may need to do some more changes in drivers/char/hpet.c in
case BIOS doesn not support HPET.

But, this will not affect normal kernel functioning. This will only
affect is someone wants to use /dev/hpet interface.

Thanks,
Venki