Re: race in usbnet.c in full RT

From: Eugeny S. Mints
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 07:35:56 EST

Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:34 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Eugeny S. Mints <emints@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

seems there is a race in drivers/net/usbnet.c in full RT mode. To be honest I haven't hardly checked this on the latest kernel and latest RT patch but just took a look at usbnet.c and latest RT patch and haven't observed any related changes.

thanks, i've applied your patch to my tree. Note that your patch is specific to the -RT kernel (both in terms of semantics and in term of API dependence), so it does not make any sense to apply it upstream. David, please ignore it.

Is this action only take place on the same CPU, or is this also an SMP
problem? I would think if this is a race with full RT, that this may
also be a race with SMP, unless the race is guaranteed to always happen
on the same CPU. Then this is only a RT problem.
thanks, good point. looks like it could be SMP problem but probably David is able to say it for sure as usb host code expert.
David?
Eugeny

-- Steve