Re: GPL violation by CorAccess?

From: Michael Poole
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 08:38:00 EST

Steven Rostedt writes:

> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 14:57 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>> > Actually, I believe that the LGPL allows for static linking as well.
>>
>> it does, as long as you provide the .o files of your own stuff so that
>> the end user can relink with say a bugfixed version of library.
>
> I don't see that in the license. As point 5 showed: "Such a
> work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
> therefore falls outside the scope of this License."

"Such a work" refers to "A program that contains no derivative of any
portion of the library." A program that is statically linked against
the library clearly contains part or all of the library, and cannot
qualify for the lower threshold of section 5. Section 5 is talking
about late binding to the library; dynamic linking is one example.

For programs distributed as object code that does contain part of the
library, the distributor must -- sooner or later -- comply with 6(a)
(allow the user to relink) or 6(b) (use dynamic linking).

Michael Poole