Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 16:09:13 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Chris Wright wrote:
> >
> > Right, I know you don't like the embargo stuff.
>
> I'd very happy with a "private" list in the sense that people wouldn't
> feel pressured to fix it that day, and I think it makes sense to have some
> policy where we don't necessarily make them public immediately in order to
> give people the time to discuss them.
>
> But it should be very clear that no entity (neither the reporter nor any
> particular vendor/developer) can require silence, or ask for anything more
> than "let's find the right solution". A purely _technical_ delay, in other
> words, with no politics or other issues involved.

Being firmly in the full disclosure camp I hope you intend to stick to
that "no entity (neither the reporter nor any particular vendor/developer)
can require silence" bit. If you do, and if embargoes are kept to short
nr. of days, then I think such a list would probably be a good idea. It
would be a good compromise between full disclosure from day one and things
being kept secret and out of view for months.

Just my 0.02euro.

--
Jesper Juhl