Re: mm kernel oops with r8169 & named, PREEMPT

From: Danny
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 15:31:11 EST

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:29:05 -0500, Jon Mason wrote:
> Can you confirm that you are running r8169 driver with NAPI and TSO turned on,
> along with Preemptable Kernel? Also, I didn't see anything in the Oops
> specific to the r8169 driver, do you have another adapter available to run
> the same test on? Finally, what is your setup (arch, # of cpus, etc)?

I am using the r8169 driver with NAPI and preemptable kernel. I don't
remember or see any option for offloading but it sounds like something
I'd turn on. Let me know what I should look for in my config, or
check here:
http://members.cox.net/valenzdu/.config

I no longer have a 2nd nic adapter, but I did first notice the problem
when I installed this one. However, if I don't load that module I'm
not able to duplicate the problem by running named on the other
interface. Running named triggers it 100% of the time on the r8169
based nic.

The arch is x86 (athlon) with just 1 cpu. Since I'm not sure what's
wrong here I'm not sure what's relevant. Here is more info about my
setup:
http://members.cox.net/valenzdu/proc-cpuinfo
http://members.cox.net/valenzdu/proc-iomem
http://members.cox.net/valenzdu/proc-ioports