Summarizing the PWC driver questions/answers

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 11:32:05 EST

So, I've gotten a lot of emails about this topic, so I'll just answer
them all here in public, and point people at them when they ask them
again:

First off, here's Nemosoft's big post about the driver, please read that
first, and the responses to that thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.devel/26310

And here's Linus's response after I removed the driver, when Nemosoft
asked me to:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/229968

Oh, and there's now a lwn.net thread too:
http://lwn.net/Articles/99615/

Ok, on to the questions:

Q: Why did you remove the hook from the pwc driver?
A: It was there for the explicit purpose to support a binary only
module. That goes against the kernel's documented procedures, so I
had to take it out.

Q: That hook had been in there for years! Why did you suddenly decide
to remove it now?
A: I was really not aware of the hook, and the fact that it was only
good for a binary module to use. I'm sorry, I should have realized
this years ago, but I didn't. Recently someone pointed this hook out
to me, and the fact that it really didn't belong in there due to the
kernel's policy of such hooks. So, once I became aware of it, I had
no choice but to remove it.

Q: Why did you delete the whole pwc driver from the tree?
A: That is what the original author (Nemosoft) wanted to happen. It was
his request, and I honored it. Go ask him why he wanted it out if
you are upset about this, I merely accepted his decision as he was
the current maintainer and author of the code.

Q: But you took away my freedom! Isn't Linux about freedom?
A: Again, it was Nemosoft's decision. The kernel also has to abide by
it's documented procedures, so that is why the hook had to go.
Remember, the original driver was released under the GPL, so you are
free to take that code and maintain it if you so desire. I'd gladly
support someone taking the GPL code and agreeing to maintain it, and
resubmitting it for inclusion in the main kernel tree. That's the
freedom that Linux provides, no closed source OS would allow you to
do that, if a company pulled support for a product (which happens all
the time.)

Q: You jerk, I had invested lots of money in this camera, you are
costing me money by ripping it out. You should be ashamed of
yourself!