Re: Oopsing cryptoapi (or loop device?) on 2.6.*

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 09:29:01 EST

James Morris wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Jari Ruusu wrote:

Jan Rychter wrote:

FWIW, I've just tried loop-AES with 2.4.24, after using cryptoapi for a
number of years. My machine froze dead in the midst of copying 2.8GB of
data onto my file-backed reiserfs encrypted loopback mount.

Since the system didn't ever freeze on me before and since I've had zero
problems with cryptoapi, I attribute the freeze to loop-AES.

Yes, I know this isn't a good bugreport...

Is there any particular reason why you insist on using file backed loops?

File backed loops have hard to fix re-entry problem: GFP_NOFS memory
allocations that cause dirty pages to written out to file backed loop, will
have to re-enter the file system anyway to complete the write. This causes
deadlocks. Same deadlocks are there in mainline loop+cryptoloop combo.

Given the security issues, and the above problems, we should probably just
remove cryptoloop from the kernel and wait for something with a better
design.

I hope you're kidding... one of the reasons for going to 2.6 is that you no longer have to patch your kernel to get cryptoloop. That is a real issue in some organizations, which only allow vendor or kernel.org kernels.

If you start dropping features which work for most people but aren't perfect, you will wind up with a microkernel indeed.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc