Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: viro
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 01:13:12 EST

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:52:56PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> That's where "mount by label" does part of the job. But if the system is
> _always_ set up to do things like NFS exports according to some separate
> UUID, that too would "just work".

mount by label does part of the job, until you decide to use dd(1) to copy
a disk. At which point you have, AFAICS, no way tell which copy will get
mounted.

> Those are them fighting words.
>
> But since you brought it up: do you actually have anything else that can
> open a remote IMAP file with a few thousand messages without taking ages
> for it, and that you don't have to mouse around with? I'd like a graphical
> interface for configuring stuff etc, but I sure as hell don't want to find
> some f*ing icon to save a few messages that I selected in-order to my
> "doit" queue or go to the next one, or pipe the thing to a shell-script,
> or any number of things that are my actual _job_.

I prefer to ssh to another box and use mutt. Seriously, I've made a mistake
of reading imapd source and that was enough to decide that I'm _not_ touching
uw-<anything> and that protocol in general unless I really have no other
options. So far I've managed to avoid that...

> On a related matter, I'm probably a retard, but I've tried alternatives to
> "trn" too, and there really aren't any.

Same here. There are things about trn command set I'd prefer to see changed,
but it's better than other newsreaders I've seen...