2.6 scheduler and "fast user switching"

From: Guy
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 06:00:59 EST

Scenario:

I typically log in as 'root' on the first console. I then invoke
fluxbox as the GUI.

# XSESSION=fluxbox startx -- :0

I then ctl-alt-F2 another console and login as 'user1'. I then
invoke KDE as the GUI.

$ XSESSION=kde-3.1.4 startx -- :1

I may or may not ctl-alt-Fn and login as 'usern' and repeat the
process.

Several thoughts:

1} I've seen Nick Piggin's suggestion of nicing X server to -10.
At the moment, the only way I know to do this is something like

# XSESSION=fluxbox nice --adjustment=-10 startx -- :N

A} My default security is that only 'root' can perform nice with
negative values. I am reluctant to play with security for such a
crticial command.

B} All child threads inherit the new nice value. So in the example
just above, this means all applications started from the GUI
desktop run at a nice value of -10. I believe enhancing the X
server nice value this way defeats the purpose of nicing it to
begin with. Obviously, despite my readings and attempts at
research, I'm must be missing something here.

2} I expect to travel down to Florida for Xmass to visit family.
One of the things I had hoped to do was to set up my mother's
computer as an X server and hang a thin client terminal {read:
older PC} off of it. This would allowed my mother and brother to
share a reasonably modern system at the same time.

This is not me just being cheap. I'm interested in setting up
diskless workstations aound a good central X server. I see such
setups as appropriate for a number of situations. If the X server
requires 'nicing' in a single user environment, what happens in
an LTSP environment?

My base reference environment is 2.4.20. I still actively use it
for everything I do as everything works as expected.

Despite my enthusiasm for 2.6, I find it difficult to get
everything to 'just work'. I still see problems in the area of
nForce based mobos {stupid proprietary nVidia!}, broken BIOSes,
and scheduler issues like the above.

Flames, instruction, suggestions, thoughts would be appreciated.

FWIW, I'm not a C/C++ programmer. I'm computer literate and am not
afraid to run bleeding edge.

Guy

--
Recyle computers. Install Gentoo GNU/Linux.