Re: Some thoughts about stable kernel development

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 11:55:13 EST

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 07:41:02PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Krzysztof,

> Here is what I propose:
> As all of you know, the development cycle can be shortened by using
> two separate trees for a stable kernel line.
>
> Say, we're now at 2.4.23-rc1 stage. This "rc" kernel would also be
> known as 2.4.24-pre1. The maintainer would apply "rc"-class fixes to
> both kernels, and other patches (which can't go to "rc" kernel) would
> be applied to 2.4.24-pre1 only.
> Comments?

I don't like this idea for the following reason:

A -rc kernel of a stable series needs maximum testing to avoid any
regressions compared to the previous stable kernel.

If you start a new -pre series at the time of an -rc series many people
will use the new -pre instead of the latest -rc decreasing the number of
people testing this -rc and therefore increasing the risk of problems in
the final kernel.

> Krzysztof Halasa, B*FH

cu
Adrian