Re: Accessing serial port from kernel module

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 09:25:43 EST

On Mer, 2003-07-23 at 15:15, Kurt Häusler wrote:
> What is the preferred way in Linux for my module to open the serial port device such as /dev/ttyS1.

Make your driver a line discipline is the normal approach in this case
(ok to be fair putting it all in user space is the normal case). Take a
look at slip.c to see how slip sits above terminal interfaces.

The user space only approach is to use pty/tty pairs as things like
xterm do. This gives you a "terminal/serial" device the other end of
which is your user space program which can do the conversions it wants
then talk to a real serial port