New IDE code and DMA failures

From: Denis Vlasenko (vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 12:39:33 EST

Hi Jens, Martin, Vojtech,

I have a flaky IDE subsystem in one box. Reads work fine,
writes sometimes don't work and hang either IDE/block device
sybsystem or entire box. For example, I dumped ~40 MB file to
the disk and now I have additional power led (i.e. hdd activity
led is constantly on) and a bunch of "D" state processes
(kupdated, mount, umount).

This is happening since I decided to try 2.5.7.
2.4.18 reported DMA failures and reverted to PIO.

I did send a detailed report of similar event with
ksymoopsed stack traces of hung prosesses to lkml.

Since you are working on IDE subsystem, I will be glad to
*retain* my flaky IDE setup and test future kernels
for correct operation in this failure mode.

Please inform me whenever you want me to test your patches.

--
vda