Re: Non-root IPX

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 15:19:31 EST

On 17 Feb 2002, Nix N. Nix wrote:

> >From Transgaming (makers of WineX):
>
> > The problem is not WineX, it's the Linux kernel, it only allows root
> > to create IPX sockets. Probably something to do with security, but I
> > don't know what.
>
> Is this true ? If so, what can I do to allow regular users to make IPX
> sockets ? Is that a wise thing to do ? I'm interested in running a
> Windows game (Starcraft) as a normal user. WineX has gotten to the
> point where that is possible, minus IPX.
>

> Thanks for your help.

Normal users can create and use IPX sockets. They just can't make
'servers'. If normal users need to make servers, make the executible
suid, get the code root privs for an instant, then revert
back. Warning. A network server of any kind can be exploited. At
the very least, it can be used for DOS attacks.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.1 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.