Mounting an external USB host-powered ZIP 250 drive hangs in mount()

From: thunder7@xs4all.nl
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 00:58:56 EST

I cannot seem to mount my external USB host-powered 250 Mb zip-drive in
Linux-2.4.3-ac12. This is a freshly rebooted machine, rebooted with the
zip-drive attached and a zip-disk inside that Windows-2000 will read
without problems.

dmesg:
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xc400, IRQ 7
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xc800, IRQ 7
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 240k freed
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
  Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 250 Rev: 61.T
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
sda : extended sense code = 2
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
IRQ 7 is an unshared IRQ.
I've read that the 'READ CAPACITY failed' indicates there is no disk
in the drive - but there is.

/proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1:
   Host scsi1: usb-storage
       Vendor: Iomega
      Product: USB Zip 250
Serial Number: 003240BCC4D11622
     Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk
         GUID: 059b0032003240bcc4d11622

All seems fine, but when I do

mount /dev/sda4 /mnt

the whole kernel hangs, including the keyboard and the network.
Windows-2000 on the same hardware can access the device. If I strace the
mount progress, it hangs in

mount("/dev/sda4", "/mnt", "vfat", 0xc0ed000, 0

I've searched the web, searched the mailing lists at usb/sourceforge,
and I seem to be alone in this.

Hardware:

Abit VP6, dual P3/866
512 Mb memory
gcc-2.95.3
SuSE 7.1 basis
linux-2.4.3-ac12

Kernel config:

CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT=y

I thought that would do the trick?

Thanks for any help that prevents me from rebooting into Windows-2000
every time!

Jurriaan

--
I have transcended that phase in my intellectual growth where I discover
humour in simple freakishness. What exists is real, therefore it is tragic,